Are Flat Roofs More Expensive To Maintain?
Roofs are a very important part of a house. They are very important for designs as well as protection of the house. A house without a roof is incomplete. They not only adorn physical beauty to the house but also protect it from severe weather conditions such as rain, hail, snow and even some most major disaster. But they require time to time maintenance. They are delicate in nature but they have the responsibility of protection of the house. There are different types of rooms available in the market, which are in different designs as well as in affordable range. The most common type of roof is the flat roof.
What is a flat roof?
The flat roof can be defined as the type of roof which is almost flat. The slope of the roof, also known a pitch is 10 degree. These are also known as low slope roofs. They are the most common roofs and in use since ancient times. Such roofs are found throughout the world. These can be used both for commercial buildings as well as for the residential one. They are most preferred in the area where there is less rainfall and with no snowfall. Such roofs are easy to construct. They don't require special techniques in their constructions. They are easy to maintain and fetch less cost on construction. Such a roof is highly flexible in terms of material used. These roofs reflect Egyptian, Arabian style of architecture. They are suited for a warmer climate and protect the house from extreme heat.
Types of flat roofs
With the passage of time, there were certain developments in flat roofs and different types of roofs originated. These different types of flat roofs are very popular and differ in their utilities. They are installed using different types of techniques. Here are different types of flat roofs.
- Single layer flat roof: These are the latest one in the field of roofing and they are mostly referred for commercial buildings. They are technically known as elastomeric. They come in different varieties like PVC. A synthetic rubber is used in it known as EPDM. This can be used both for the residential and commercial purpose. These roofs are installed in form of thin sheets as a single layer. These flat roofs are flexible and can withstand temperature changes.
- Modified Flat roofs: This roofing was developed in the 1960's. Such roofs can be installed with the help of many techniques such as cold applied, hot applied etc. They are flexible in terms of techniques.
- Built-up Flat roofs: This is one of the old roofs, which one can find in their grandparent's era. These roofs use a hot applied technique. It is installed with several layers roofing felt which is embedded in bitumen and used with the hot mop. To protect it from harmful UV rays and weather, granules of crushed stones are sprinkled on the top layer of hot tar.
- Spray foam flat roof: in this type of roof a layer of foam of high density is used to create a base. Then it is coated with waterproofing elastomeric as the top coat. This top coat reflects white or grey in color and gives a decent appearance to the roofs.
Above mentioned are the common types of flats roofs which are quite popular in the commercial building as well as for residential one. The roofing contractor builds the best flat roof for their clients at affordable cost.
Are flat roofs really are more expensive to maintain.
- Flat roofs are very simple versions of roofs which are very flexible and easy to maintain. There are many myths regarding flat roofs. The most common myth is that these roofs have high maintenance cost because they are not as strong as compared to other roof types due to which they are prone to recurring damages. But it is only a myth. There are many advantages of flat roofs which make them the best of the other roofs.
- These roofs are not prone to high maintenance cost. They were in old times but now with the enhancement in technologies they are very strong. There are different types of flat roof which one can use according to the climatic conditions of the area. Most of the roofs are flexible waterproof and provides 100% protection from UV rays of the sun. These flat roofs are flexible and can withstand temperature changes.
- If one is installing them in an area where there is very severe climate then obviously they will fail because they technically don’t suit such area. They are the best for the regions which have hot climates. And they have enough capacity to withstand extreme heat and rainfall. They are waterproof and they are not prone to rust or any other technical damage. Because of their popularity they can be used both for the residential and commercial purpose. So it is all a myth that flats roofs are weak and they generate high maintenance cost due to recurring damages. In fact, they are installed at less cost and provide effective protection to the houses.
- There are many other advantages of flat roof which make them affordable and the best roofs. The most important is that they are flexible. It is because one can install anything on the flat roof. Solar panel air conditioner can be installed very easily. Also one can convert it into a rooftop garden. Also with such roofs, one can fetch versatile and spacious interior space. They are much more easily accessible as compared to sloped roofs. It makes many tasks and installation easy.
The flat roofs are the basic form of roofs which have a slight slope. They are not considered strong and durable but these are only a myth. They are highly strong and durable. They generate great results when used in arid climates. These are the most flexible roofs for a house. One can find a flat roof replacement company very easily when looking. One should use flat roofs and fetch their advantages if they live in the arid area as they are best for such areas.